An individual’s attempt to undermine or discredit the stability, and confidence of another individual by causing to doubt his/her senses, feelings, perceptions, and beliefs or commonly known as “gaslighting“. It is a psychological manipulation and emotional abuse.
Have you ever found someone that;-
- made you wonder and questioned yourself, “Am I being too sensitive?” “Am I overemotional?” “Am I crazy?” “Am I difficult to deal with?” constantly?
- lead you to think twice before you brought up an innocent conversation or discussion topic?
- you have to constantly make excuses or lies for their action and behavior to yourself or family?
- tells lies, does not want to change but want you to change for them?
- their actions do not match their words?
- wear you down over time?
- always made excuses like “I was just joking!” “It doesn’t mean anything” “Don’t get so worked up” “You are making things up” “That never happened” “There’s no pattern”?
- made you explain to almost EVERYTHING such as the reason you were mad or sad and even had to explain that your feelings matter and valid but in the end, no use, they dismissed your feelings and you were the one end up apologizing?
If you answer “yes” to at least one of the telltale signs, well, congratulation, you found yourself a “gaslighter” because I know I did.
On a different note, here’s the graphic that gave me the idea to write this post. All credits go to their respective owners;
p.s. I should and could have read more, do extra research, provide more references, and write better about this particular topic but I don’t want to. I don’t want to remember and plus, I am actually procrastinating for something when I posted this.
I just want to get it out of my system, forget about it and move on. Fare thee well.